This is sadly the final year of the Great Alaska Shootout. So many great teams have played here and now it's the forgotten tournament. I have many great memories of watching these games around Thanksgiving. Let's hope it's a great Title Game!
8. Alaska-Anchorage - This just feels mean to put the Seawolves in last place in the final Great Alaska Shootout. But unfortunately this isn't a very strong UAA squad. I expect them to fight hard, but still likely lose every game between by between 8-20 points.
7. Sam Houston State - Bobkat fans are not going to like this projection. The tough part is they have only faced one Division 1 program thus far, a 9 point loss at Idaho. SHSU opens with Central Michigan in what should be a close game. I then have them turning around and losing another close game before beating UAA for 7th place.
6. Santa Clara - This Broncos team comes to Alaska pretty thin. They really only go 7 deep right now and that is not good for this format. KJ Feagin can really light it up, if he gets hot then SCU can make a run. I see them losing a tough one to Idaho in the opener and then bouncing back against UAA before settling for 6th place.
5. Cal Poly - Donovan Fields leads this Mustang club into Alaska on a two game winning streak including an impressive road win at Santa Clara. And funny enough, I am predicting a rematch this Saturday in the 5th/6th Place game between the two. I think Cal Poly may make Charleston sweat a bit in the opener. Charleston has looked sluggish and they had to travel a very long ways to get to Alaska. That's one to keep your eye on. Otherwise I see Cal Poly bouncing back with two wins after a close lose to the Cougars.
4. Central Michigan - I was impressed by the effort CMU gave at Michigan last week. But maybe Michigan isn't as good as we thought either. I still think this CMU team, led by Shawn Roundtree and Luke Meyer can compete with anyone in this field. Roundtree needs to cut down on his turnovers though. I see the Chips escaping the Sam Houston opening game, before losing twice and finishing 4th.
3. Cal St. Bakersfield - This team is a pretty veteran club who starts three Seniors. They have a young Freshman in Jarkel Joiner that is having a lot of success early on in the season. Senior Shon Briggs is the leader of this team though, and they are capable of winning this tournament. I see them falling just short in the Semi's, before taking out CMU for 3rd.
2. Idaho - I'm taking the Vandals to make a run in Anchorage and not being shy about it. This is the most promising team Idaho has had in some time. It will be crucial to get the opening win over Santa Clara, so Idaho can have the off day on Thursday. Vandals rotation is only 7-8 guys deep. I think they then have what it takes to knock off Bakersfield in the Semifinals, before losing the Title Game.
1. Charleston - On paper this is the best team in the field, no question. The preseason pick to win the CAA Regular Season and CAA Tournament titles. But on the court, they have struggled thus far. This trip to Alaska will either help them get on track or could derail them further. I am going to stick with my preseason analysis and take Charleston to win the Great Alaska Shootout. Watch out for Joe Chealey, he can flat out score, he had 29 points on 19 shots in their last game against Charlotte.
Enjoy the final Great Alaska Shootout everyone!